San Francisco’s seafood scene is excellent & if you like shrimp, lobster & the San Francisco speciality dungeness crab you’re in for a treat. Outside of all the popular seafood restaurants in the city & the ones on the tourist ridden Pier 39, there is one local chain that has had me come back each & every time I am in the city – Woodhouse Fish Co. They have 2 locations & I’ve been to each for my lobster & crab roll fix.
Over the years, Woodhouse Fish Co. has continued to grow & has drawn larger crowds of locals & tourists like myself. Once you’ve discovered this gem you will keep coming back for more! They have a ton of other seafood specialties including oysters but its hard for me to visit & not get the usual – a delicious toasty roll with a lobster or crab filling. See the yummy-ness I’m talking about below!??
Now mind you, the sandwiches have gotten pricier over the years but they are well worth it & pretty comparable to other places. At $22/36 (small/large) for the lobster roll & $21/35 (small/large) for the crab roll, they’re extremely filling & come with a side of coleslaw & a basket full of thin-cut fries or onion rings. To be honest, it’s so good I normally order the large size because the small just isn’t enough!
Service is excellent & the staff is very attentive but what makes this place special (outside of the seafood of course) is the buttery toasted bun! I am a self-described crab roll addict & look for them on the menu of every seafood restaurant I visit – so it’s safe to say I’ve eaten A LOT of crab & lobster rolls in my time. This one has been my favorite since I first visited in 2011 & is the source of my addiction to what Woodhouse Fish Company is offering!
- If you’re traveling with someone else get one of each of the lobster & crab. They are cut in half & you can easily share & try both!
- If you’re going to the restaurant in the evening the location on Fillmore typically is better for parking. Street parking only which is typical in San Francisco.
- It’s walk-ins only & it’s hit or miss on how busy it is. I’ve gone on Friday night & waited up to an hour then the next time I visited I was seated right away. There isn’t much seating in either location although Fillmore is bigger & you’re chances are better there.
- Try their calamari if you’re hungry enough. You won’t regret it!
- The lobster in the roll is served cold & the crab in the roll is served warm. But, the rolls themselves are always toasted.
- If you’re not all for lobster or crab rolls their Cioppino is highly rated as well.
If you’re in the San Francisco area I highly suggest stopping by Woodhouse Fish Co. Your taste buds will thank you for it!